Monday, December 22, 2008

Home for the Holidays

The semester wrapped up nicely, it looks like I'm still in the running to graduate in May- which was questionable for a while.
Like I said before, I finished what I came to do, but it took a lot of hard work on my part. Not really something I'm afraid of.
One semester left. Getting nervous. Not sure if I'm ready for this whole "real world" thing. Seems like a lot of responsibility that I don't want. Suddenly, I realize why I wanted to go to grad school. Postpone the hard life.
I paid my second cell phone bill yesterday. Not sure why that is a milestone for me, but it is. I guess with each new bill I have to pay I feel a little bit more independent from my parents, feel less like their kid and more like a real person in the world.
I put myself in charge of Christmas Eve hors d'oeuvres. A lot more challenging than in past years when we would just sit around and eat cookies, since we will not be having Christmas cookies this year. I might be a rebel and bake something anyway, despite my parents wishes. As long as Fred eats them all, they'll be fine. I'm thinking on the docket will be chicken quesadillas, spinach and artichoke dip, a cheese ball, and ham roll ups. Possibly roasted mixed nuts and veggies and dip too, we'll see what I have time and budget for. I dunno, it just doesn't seem like Christmas without cookies. We'll see.
Parents got a snowmobile recently. I got to ride it, and got it stuck within five minutes. Go me. Fortunately, they're not that heavy, and I was able to push it back onto the road. Those things are FAST! I got up to about 35-40 mph before needing to slow down because the snow was hitting my face so hard that it was starting to get cold and painful. I feel like I can finally be accepted as a northern Minnesotan once I go ice fishing. Which might happen over this break- it would have happened yesterday, but the ice is really crappy on the lake by my house.
There is a Caribou coffee in Hibbing, only two years old. I thought that Hibbing was trying to appeal to the younger crowds and finally provide us with something to do besides loiter in Wal Mart, and that it would never be accepted completely by the city- it would forever remain Hibbing's attempt at metro culture. Yesterday evening, while I was waiting for an old friend, sitting across from me at a table were four old men, wearing carhart jackets, drinking coffee and talking about fishing, as if this were a Sunday afternoon at Sportsman's. I realized then, that it's not that Hibbing needed to adopt Caribou, but that Caribou needed to adopt Hibbing. It made me smile, as this is probably not something I would never see in Minneapolis.

No comments: