Thursday, October 02, 2008

Job Searching

It's been a while since I updated, I guess it's starting to be like last year all over again! I promised myself I wouldn't let that happen. I did take steps to prevent being too overdrawn, however.
Searching for a job is probably one of the scariest things I've ever done to my future. Just knowing that in less than a year I will be living who knows where doing God knows what is a little frightening. On the bright side, it has been revealed to me lately that I will, in fact, have a job if I so choose at Ecolab- so at least I don't have to worry too much about that.
Macosko yesterday was trying to convince me to go to grad school. I can tell that he wants me to be happy and if he knew that what I wanted out of life and what I was doing to get there meshed he wouldn't be worried. I guess that needs explanation: I want to work in research and development, however not having an advanced degree hinders this process- and from what I've heard - also hinders moving up within the company (which also depends on the company). Thing is, if I go through any more school in the next year, I'm going to go batshit insane. I want to eventually get my masters degree, but not now, and hopefully not have to pay for it. Who knows, I might like working as a more traditional engineer too- whose jobs are rarely given to those with advanced degrees.
Maybe I feel like I'm making too many decisions that will really affect my future right now. I know these decisions are necessary, but I also know that they're very hard to fall back on. Chemical engineering is fairly unique in that these decisions are necessary- all of the mechanical, aerospace, electrical, etc. engineers that I know are all just looking for basic "jobs"- they don't need to specify product or process design as far as I know, and even if they do, I don't think that they're "stuck" in that particular field either. I guess this is why most companies have rotational programs for people like me, huh? I really don't want to get uprooted in the middle of something though, which always worries me with those things. I don't mind moving- hell, I've done it most of my life (max of four years in one place- the first place I lived! - and I'm living in place #14 I think...)
On a really exciting note, I'm travelling to Delaware next week, for an interview with DuPont! I am very excited for this, as I have never been to the East coast. Unfortunately, I won't be there long enough to experience anything- however I will be in downtown Wilmington for about three or four hours without anything to do a week from next Tuesday night. Exciting!!! Definitely bringing the camera (and extra batteries too).
I think I'm going to ask for money towards new digital camera for Christmas... as much as I like the old one, it's dying. Not just the batteries, but it's HUGE and doesn't fit well into my purse. I want a little one, but as most of you know I can't just get any piece of technology, so the one I have picked out is about $500. Which is approx. $300 out of my price range at the moment.
I can't wait to not be poor.

No comments: