Monday, January 09, 2006

break is almost over!

I have roughly five days left here in Hibbing, I am already starting the countdown.
I went to Duluth today, with the intention of seeing the movie The Producers. The road conditions were bad, but I survived. The movie itself was very funny, and it had great music. I played a few selections from the movie with the Mesabi Comunity Band in Virginia, back in the day, but it was really great to hear them actually in use. I miss playing with them... fortunately I am joining the Campus Band next semester at the U so at least I will get my clarinet playing fix haha. I'm actually suprised how much i miss playing an instrument often.
Jon left for college this morning. I believe that things are going well with us, we will be good friends. I am very happy of this and have no regrets. He is a great guy.
Travelling in the car with my friends today was a very interesting experience, we listened to Gwen Stafani on full blast while my other two friends tried (and succeeded!) to rock the top-heavy blazer back and forth at various stop signs in Duluth... If only I had a video camera...
Geez, I am really going to miss my friends
Recently I have become involved with a group that Mike started, called FTNV- its run through the University of Minnesota to create and teach people how to create all aspects of movies. The short term goals of the group involve three movies within the next three months. This seems very daunting, but the first two will be about five minutes long, each, and the third will run about ten minutes. We already have scrips and a website- I feel almost as if I've done nothing to forward the progress of the group, however. It seems that everyone has some project to work on, where I am mostly researching so that I know what the heck is going on. Lately, however I have been researching on how to synthesize a likeness of 'Greek Fire'- basically a sticky extremely flammable resin that resembles napalm. I have been having a bit of fun lighting a few select household items on fire- cleaners and whatnot. I have found that cleaners with citrus oil-orange oil specifically- burn the best on camera. also bugspray is great. Another part of Greek Fire is that when it is hurled, it casts a tail behind it, basically drops of the Greek Fire itself. I am currently attempting to synthesisze this, and I am nearly at a loss. Kerosene was brought up to me, but I am not sure, due to the viscocity of Kerosene (very low) that it will work. There is also the fact that I have to light it on fire, most likely without permission from my parents to light things on fire on their property... :S Apparently if you can dissolve soap in anything it burns longer. Also anti-bacterial hand soap is supposed to burn like napalm. Any way, I will have to see about these things.
I just hope something works...

No comments: