Saturday, November 19, 2005

weekend of concerts

Today I went to the "battle of the bands" at the Quest center (the same place I went dancing with the nasty guy). Fortunately, other than bad things happen at the place. They opened up both floors for the bands and both stages were going at the same time. It was very cool, I had a great time. My friend was in one of the bands, and I took a few pictures. Their band was awesome, much better than the screaming ones... Not that I have anything against bands that scream EVERY song, that seriously takes a lot of vocal work, but seriously: scream ON KEY....
My friends band was more alternative than "scream-o" and it was a refreshing change. There were a few other good bands there too, even a "scream-o" band that I liked. I can't remember their names, but the music was pretty awesome. Unfortunately it seemed that the quality died as it got later into the afternoon, so I left.
Last night I also attended a concert, my friend Matt's chamber singer's concert. It was very good, right after intermission the chamber singers and the concert choir sang a few pieces together and it was amazing. So many good singers in one room.. and the auditorium at Ted Mann is so acoustically amazing in the first place.
Tonight I go to the Guthrie Theater, which apparently is also amazing. I see a live performance of "a christmas carol" tonight. never seen it performed live, just on VHS a'la Muppets Christmas Carol. I'm sure that this will be a bit different. I am very excited.
Tomorrow I am going to see the U of Mn marching band's indoor concert. I am also very psyched for that. I get to see Krysti (who is in it) and two people that live on my floor. Also, the band is so good, I would have gone if I didnt know anyone in it. I am a little bit sad that I dont get to see my brother, or the rest of the Hibbing band kids, for that matter. Ususally they come down to see this, and I assume that this year is no different, but they usually come down on Saturday (today). Oh well, I'll see them over winter break. Its not like I miss them too much...
Speaking of band, I am joining UBand here next semester. I am so excited for it! I didnt realize how much I would miss playing my clarinet. or piano. or trumpet for that matter... i feel musically excluded... especially with all of my musically talented friends in bands/choirs here. I am excited to have a 'fun' class next semester too.. after this one, I think i deserve it...

No comments: