Friday, August 10, 2007

Sunshine in the Morning

Things have been looking a little better for me lately. I hope it stays that way. It should, most of the problems in my life have been either solved or have gotten better in some way or another.
The one that has been bothering me the most has not changed, however, and no- I'm still not going to talk about it.
I had an interesting conversation with my boss today about how he is going to help me out with something really important to me. I'm so excited and grateful.
I bought my first two books for class, and once I buy my organic lab books I'll be over $200 already. Can we say, "ouch"? I hate textbooks sometimes. Thank God for Amazon.com, and the used book sellers on there.
I actually bought mine new for half the price from them. yay.
Its still too much, however.
I went on vacation to Michigan, was very fun. Lots of driving, however it was way worth it to have Matt with me. We went on a picnic when I picked him up in Des Moines, and we stayed there that night (Wednesday), left early Thursday to Hibbing only to leave from Hibbing with my parents and our ginormous fifth wheel to some WalMart parking lot in Michigan. By the time we had gotten there it was like midnight (past my bedtime nowadays) and I really felt like a hick. Hick aside, I can see why WalMart lets campers stay in their parking lots, because Friday morning both of my parents went shopping for some forgotten goods. Friday we made it out to St. Ignace, and we spent the early afternoon with extended family, who I'm glad we saw. Later, Matt and I checked out the "Mystery Spot" where the gravitational pull is shifted to the East! In reality, we were on a hill, but in an enclosed area where they built everything tilted so your view of what was horizontal was skewed. It was cute, anyway. We then went to the beach on Lake Michigan, where the waves were amazing. We were out in the lake and the waves would topple us over, we even borrowed my cousin's boogie board and "caught" some waves. It was probably one of the most memorable moments- frolicking in the water with Matt.
My uncles and my cousin showed up not long after we were there, we had a lot of fun with them too. Saturday we went out to Mackinac Island on a ferry that took us under the bridge in celebration of its 50th anniversary. It was really neat to see it from the under side. I got some really great pictures of it, ones my uncle said were almost framing quality. yay! The island has not changed from when I remembered it. It was really neat to show Matt a glimpse of my past though. We later met my parents in Mackinac City where they took us shopping, although I don't think my Mom appreciates Matt's and my version of shopping compared to her own. She likes clothes and that kind of thing, Matt and I like to go to the toy store.
Sunday we left for a cute little campground near the border between Michigan and Wisconsin. There was a big park there and Matt and I stayed on the swings for a long time having a really deep conversation. Another favorite memory of mine.
Monday, we drove back to Hibbing so that Matt and I could drive to Minneapolis. While here we checked out the 35W bridge, or the remnants of it. I wanted to stay out of the way, yet get a good view- but I'm not sure that compromise exists. I got a few photos but I don't think it quite captures the deadly sereneness that permeates the area there. That is probably the weirdest thing- there is absolutely no activity where there used to be constant movement. It is also very precarious to see the cars perched delicately on those huge slabs of concrete.
We went back to my apartment, and a few friends came over to see him and hang out. It was nice to have him here, and was nice to cuddle at night. I really miss him.
Tuesday we drove back to Des Moines, I stayed there for a few hours, and I drove back home. Lots of driving, my poor car.
I told him next year he should get a car, and he agreed. That makes me happy, a little. I'm glad the distance is ending soon, I don't know if I could take it much longer, but it certainly has helped the time to pass by quickly. I only have a few more weeks of work! yay!
I have to get up early to cheer on C at the Gopher to Badger half marathon tomorrow- so I need some sleep.

No comments: